Monday 10 November 2014

Mind the map

4. Mind maps, on paper and not

Quite a learning curve here. I'm in a group that's completely at ease with the idea of mind-mapping - who isn't?
So it's a bit embarrassing to be the one who has to ask what a mind map is. Time for some catch-up.
Reading around the subject today I've discovered that the original mind map lightbulb moment is claimed by a UK psychologist called Tony Buzan and that it happened more than 40 years ago. Maybe they were around when I was last in education (about three decades ago) and I've just forgotten all about them.
Before coming to any judgement about the usefulness of mind-mapping software I felt I needed to go right back to basics and try it out for myself with paper and pen. As my starting point I used an Open University how-to guide.
And to make the exercise as real as possible I applied the technique to a 'real world' test of a current work project, a commissioned article on the Highland midge. The publisher has asked for breadth rather than depth, so it seemed like a good way to gauge my existing knowledge and identify where I'll need to fill gaps with fresh research.
What I've come up with is scruffy, but it took hardly any time to assemble and the experience has overcome my initial scepticism. Is it better than the simple list I would usually start with? I think it is.
For example, I'd have put 'farming' on a list but when I added to the map it prompted questions about other outdoor workers. That resulted in the addition of forestry workers, who might not have figured in a list.
Would the process have been better if  I'd used an online tool? That's for the next 'experiment'. In the meantime I've looked at a few and found they have strengths and weaknesses.
At the moment these are my frontrunners:

Bubbl.us

Coggle

Popplet

But before I'm ready to unleash them on students I'm going to have to feel more comfortable with the tool - and the concept. As a first step I'm going some of the way by planning in a session with Padlet.
It's not a mind mapping tool, but does share some of the features. It is more like an online pin board that allows students to collaborate - I've had a go at putting a wall together for one of my favourite destinations.
It looks like this:

On the face of it I think it's just the thing for my Leisure & Tourism group to work with on their capital city project. Searching for facts, images and video and then prioritising what should go where should be a useful learning experience.

Source:
Tony Buzan www.tonybuzan.com (Accessed November 10, 2014)
Open University, Information Skills for Researchershttp://www.open.ac.uk/infoskills-researchers/developing-mindmapping.htm (accessed November 10, 2014)

2 comments:

  1. Well done Julian, your blog looks great..and don't worry, you're not the only one who is in the dark. Trial and error, blood, sweat, tears and frustrated exhaustion: that's experiential learning for you! DIY ICT..I'm not sure it's the best way, but for now it seems it's the only way..? Well done on your blog!
    Andie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andie. Blood, sweat and a tear or two seem to be all part of this 'journey'...

    ReplyDelete