Thursday 15 January 2015

The little things...

12. My journey to tech confidence.

I was speaking to a colleague at college tonight about classroom technology (by the way, that's not him above) and came away with so many good ideas. It's great to hear insights into the practicalities of classroom 'craft' from someone with plenty of experience.
Lots to think about, but one of his suggestions stood out - if only because it was so easy to make happen. In fact, I've already been online spending my money.
His must-have bit of hardware is a wireless mouse. Going wireless frees the teacher from being tethered to a classroom's desktop computer, which is, he says, a definite plus.
It means that you can be navigating yourself around what's on your interactive whiteboard from anywhere in the room. I can see definite advantages to that.
Here's an example. It could help when someone is drifting away into inattention at the far side of the room. With a wireless mouse, the teacher could leave the desk at the front and bring that student back on track by using his or her desk instead.
Or, the teacher could hand the mouse to a student and involve him or her in the lesson more asking the learner do the clicking for themselves for a while. I've spent a very reasonable £10 and am looking forward to playing with my new 'pet' when it arrives.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment